Job Title: Senior Accountant
Reports To: Controller
Job Type: Full-time
About GOSO: Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers young people to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
Objective of Role: GOSO is seeking to hire a Senior Accountant with 5+ years’ experience. The Senior Accountant should be organized, proactive, and an accounting professional. The position is very hands-on and detail-oriented, while at the same time analytical. This person will focus on preparing the month-end accounting close and should be ready on day one to roll up their sleeves. The Senior Accountant will be a key member of the Finance team. The position reports to the Controller.
- Perform detailed day-to-day accounting functions
- Complete month-end close process
- Maintain accounts receivable ledger
- Maintain restricted grants guidelines and processes
- Reconcile the Development department’s record, keeping to accounting / subledger
- Assist in the preparing Restricted Net Assets schedules to reconcile to Financial Statement
- Assist with maintaining accounts payable ledger
- Maintain payroll records
- Complete bank reconciliations and reconciliation of assets / liabilities general ledger accounts
- Assist with preparation of financial statements, including statement of activities, balance sheet, and cash flow
- Assist with treasury / cash flow processes
- Assist with preparation of budgets and forecasts
- Assist in the renewal process of all company-wide insurance policies
- Ad hoc projects
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree in accounting
- 5+ years of experience working in an audit / accounting / not-for-profit environment
- Attention to detail and analysis
- Excellent oral and written communication, interpersonal and computer skills
- Ability to be able to meet deadlines and exceed expectations
- Sense of urgency
- Passion for organization’s mission
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 403(b) after 90 days.
Please send a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.