Career Readiness Coach
Reports To: Director of Workforce Development
Job Type: Full-time
About GOSO: Located in East Harlem, Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers 16- to 24-year-olds to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
GOSOWorks is a workforce development and wage-subsidy program that connects GOSO participants to employment opportunities with local businesses. Utilizing funding from the City of New York, we screen, interview, and place participants who have completed our job readiness curriculum in internship-to-employment (I2E) opportunities. A GOSOWorks internship is often the first employment experience for many participants, and it helps them use and develop the personal and professional skills needed to succeed in life.
Objective of Role: GOSO is working to expand the workforce development programing to include more robust job readiness training and increased permanent job opportunities. We are seeking a candidate that has successfully led workforce development initiatives and can scale the already successful GOSOWorks program.
- Conduct initial and going assessments and individual and group sessions with participants to develop and achieve benchmarked individualized educational and career goal plans and ensure that they are the right fit for the program.
- Provide case management services including information, referrals, assistance in accessing child care, health, and other support services that will assist participants to achieve career goals. This may include site visits to training locations, schools, and or work sites.
- Contribute to the design of and facilitate career readiness, professional development, and life skills workshops for participants; ensure participants complete a professional development portfolio.
- Monitor and track participants’ attendance, progress and achievement of career and education goal plans from point of enrollment until program completion.
- Collect and maintain all participant documentation, case management records, progress notes, and outcomes data as related to GOSOWorks program goals and contractual obligations.
- Work as part of an interdisciplinary team to ensure participants’ career needs, interests, and goals are being met; participate in case conferencing.
- Demonstrate an understanding of and practice the principals of positive youth development.
- Provide feedback to other GOSO program teams regarding participants placement experiences, challenges, and successes, to help inform the content and structure of program services.
- Participate in relevant departmental, agency, and external agency meetings, trainings, case conferences, workshops and events.
- Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s degree preferred along with 3 to 5 years of experience in workforce development.
- English-Spanish Bilingual preferred.
- Computer literate and skilled in using Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Google applications, and related programs. Ability to learn GOSO’s Salesforce database and any other databases and software.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and networking skills.
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice, criminal justice reform, and youth development.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 403(b) after 90 days.
Please send a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.