Housing and Benefits Coordinator
The Housing and Benefits Coordinator is responsible for assisting GOSO participants in securing housing, including navigating homeless and shelters, finding housing resources, utilizing vouchers, filling out any necessary paperwork, and accompanying participants on housing interviews and appointments. This position is also tasked with assisting participants in signing up for public assistance programs, such as Medicaid, SNAP benefits, cash assistance, and others. GOSO Career Managers/Social Workers will refer their participants to the Housing and Benefits Coordinator for support around the above functions, and all three will meet regularly to track progress and successful outcomes.
Position: Housing and Benefits Coordinator
Weekly Hours: Full time
Annual Salary: Competitive
The Housing and Benefits Coordinator will:
- Gather necessary collateral information for housing applications, including proof of homelessness, proof of foster care involvement, and/or medical/mental health records.
- Contact placement agencies to follow up on open vacancies and the status of participants’ application package.
- Connect participants to affordable housing apartments including NYC Housing Connect, Breaking Ground, and other resources.
- Make professional connections with NYC Homeless Shelters, Department of Homeless Services, and Human Resources Administration.
- Assist participants in finding apartments that will accept various NYC vouchers, as well as those on the open market.
- Provide participants with eviction assistance and knowledge of housing rights.
- Attend housing court with participants when necessary to advocate for participants.
- Assist participants in applying online for benefits such as SNAP, Public Assistance, and Medicaid through ACCESS HRA.
- Connect participants to NYC Childcare Vouchers.
- Collaborate with Career Managers/Social Workers as well as other members of the staff to ensure successful outcomes.
- Complete all necessary paperwork and data entry to track goals, progress, and outcomes.
Essential job skills:
- Ability to work on an interdisciplinary team.
- Passion and empathy.
- Flexible and able to change course or strategy as necessary.
- Excellent written and oral communication.
- Familiarity with Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, etc.), Google products, and willingness to learn our database system(s).
- Professional attitude and appearance; friendly demeanor and excellent customer service.
- Ability to multi-task with strong organizational skills.
- Willingness to build skills and grow professionally.
- Capable of working independently as well as exercise initiative, discretion, and good judgment.
The Housing and Benefits Coordinator must have:
- High School Diploma or Equivalency with 7 years of relevant professional or lived experience with homeless services, prevention, and benefits coordination.
- Associate’s Degree with 5 years of relevant professional or lived experience with homeless service, prevention, and benefits coordination.
- Bachelor’s Degree with 3 years of relevant professional or lived experience with homeless service, prevention, and benefits coordination.
- Master’s Degree in Social Work or Mental Health Counseling with 1 to 2 years of relevant professional or lived experience with homeless service, prevention, and benefits coordination. LMSW/LMHC a plus!
- Working knowledge of the New York City Department of Homeless Services, Human Resources Administration, housing rights, and affordable housing.
- Experience with ACCESS HRA, 2010E forms, and housing vouchers.
- Strong commitment to GOSO mission and the success of our participants.
How to Apply
Please send resume and cover letter to email@example.com.