Vocational Training Coach
About GOSO: Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers young men to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. GOSO focuses on the individuals’ capacities and strengths, as well as developmental needs and emotional well-being. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services.
GOSOWorks is a workforce development and wage-subsidy program that connects GOSO participants to employment opportunities with local businesses. Utilizing funding from the City of New York, we screen, interview, and place participants who have completed our career readiness curriculum in jobs or internship-to-employment (I2E) opportunities. A GOSOWorks internship is often the first employment experience for many participants, and it helps them use and develop the personal and professional skills needed to succeed in life.
GOSO is working to expand the workforce development programing to include more robust vocational training opportunities to increased access to a diversity of industries and permanent job opportunities. We are seeking a candidate that has successfully facilitated vocational training initiatives and can coordinate training opportunities that lead to industry recognized credentials. Reporting to the Director of Workforce Development, the candidate will assist participants in removing barriers to employment by making connections to necessary internal and external services. He or She should possess knowledge of current practices in vocational education, labor market trends and employment opportunities in both the private and public sectors. The candidate will advocate on behalf of the participant by directly collaborating with program staff and build strong relationships with local businesses and other community-based organizations to develop job leads that cater to their interests and talents.
- Conduct comprehensive assessments in order to provide vocational counseling and referrals to corresponding trainings.
- Maintain an active employment and vocational/educational training data bank and serves as program representative to all such providers.
- Provide career coaching and assists with resume/cover letter preparation, job search and completing employment applications.
- Develop strong working relationships with clients in order to help participants secure and maintain viable and long-lasting employment opportunities, preferably within the industry they have been trained.
- Assist clients in developing professional skills and work habits that will result in long term employment or career advancement opportunities.
- Facilitate career development skills workshops to program participants, and conduct vocational trainings when appropriate.
- Handle any appropriate additional responsibilities and functions as assigned by Supervisor and/or Director.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- 3 to 5 years of experience in vocational training, employment training and/or workforce development.
- English-Spanish Bilingual preferred.
- OSHA Certified Trainer or licensed NYS Security Guard Instructor preferred.
- Computer literate and skilled in using Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Google applications, and related programs. Ability to learn GOSO’s Salesforce database and any other databases and software.
- Excellent interpersonal communication and networking skills.
- Strong commitment to social and racial justice, criminal justice reform, and youth development.
COMPENSATION AND BENEFITS: Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 401(k) after 90 days.
Please send resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org
Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.