Grants Manager -Cover letter Required
Reports To: Director of Development
Job Type: Full-time
***Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.***
About GOSO: Located in East Harlem, Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers 16- to 24-year-olds to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
Objective of Role: Under the supervision of the Director of Development, the Grants Manager is responsible for Foundation and Government Grant Writing (85%), and Grant Prospecting and Cultivation (15%), and is a key member of the Development/Communications team working to achieve the organization’s overall fundraising/communication goals.
Foundation and Government Grant Writing (85%)
- Lead the preparation and development of private foundation and government grant proposals, including all external and internal outreach and planning required for the drafting of the narrative, budget, and all attachments; ensure that all internal and final deadlines are met and proposal components are being addressed by relevant staff, including development, finance and program staff;
- Initiate communication with essential GOSO staff, including Participant Success Managers, senior leadership, finance, and external partners needed for high quality grant proposals;
- Draft and coordinate submissions of LOI’s, grant reports, renewal requests, and acknowledgement letters;
- Monitor paperwork and other related documents connected with grant-funded programming;
- Analyze RFP’s, prepare written RFP analyses for senior staff, and attend pre-proposal conferences;
- Respond to document vault requests related to applications whenever notified of a need for document updates as sent by the NYC HHS Accelerator service or the NYS Grants Gateway systems;
- Develop a high level of expertise of all of GOSO’s programming and continue to gain knowledge about reentry programs and criminal justice reform.
Grant Prospecting and Cultivation (15%)
- Research government and private foundation funding opportunities and bring viable prospects to Executive leadership that are potential a good fit for supporting GOSO’s programs;
- Cultivate grantor points of contact through personal touch points throughout the year with the support of the Director of Development and CEO as needed;
- Track cultivation, contacts, and notes in GOSO’s CRM database, Salesforce.
Qualifications and Skills:
- Bachelor’s Degree required.
- 3-4 years of development or relevant work experience, including experience in producing grant proposals;
- Proficient in using development databases and ability to learn and master Salesforce
- Exceptionally detail-oriented written and oral communications skills
- Excellent project management skills, including relationship building and time management;
- Ability to work effectively and flexibly to produce high-quality work products in a face-paced environment;
- Computer literate and skilled in using Microsoft Office, including Word and Excel, Google applications, and related programs;
- A basic understanding of the criminal justice system and its impact on individuals with justice involvement a plus;
- We seek talented, dedicated individuals from all walks of life who possess a strong commitment to the mission. Relevant personal experience a plus.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience.
- Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 401(k) after 90 days.
Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law