Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Chief Operating Officer
Department: Development and Communications
Job Type: Full-time
About GOSO: Located in East Harlem, Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers 16- to 24-year-olds to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
Objective of Role:
The Director of Development will work within the GOSO Development and Communications Department and will report to the Chief Operating Officer (COO). The Director of Development is a senior leader whose primary focus is raising funds to support the organization’s $5.6 million budget and increase unrestricted revenue for GOSO to advance the strategic priorities of the organization and ensure long-term growth and sustainability. The Director of Development will play a key role in working with the GOSO team and stakeholders to manage the GOSO growth campaign to raise $2.5 million over the next three years. GOSO seeks an entrepreneurial fundraiser and project manager to help lead this effort.
The Director will carry out a robust development plan that includes raising revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, institutional foundations and the organization’s annual event. The Director of Development will assist with the production, event marketing, and fundraising for the annual gala and will conceptualize and help implement donor cultivation events.
The Director of Development will supervise four people in the Development and Communications department: the Communications and Events Manager, Development Manager, and the Communications Associate, and the Development Associate.
- Steward existing relationships to ensure that donors, partners, and funders are giving increased amounts, year after year.
- Conduct research to identify high-net worth individuals and corporations to support the growth campaign and the organization’s fundraising appeals and special events
- Forge new relationships to build GOSO’s visibility and secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Partner with the COO to provide strategy and direction to GOSO’s PR Firm, Geto & de Milly and other consultants
- Work with the team to conceptualize and implement fundraising campaigns
- Work with the Communications and Events Manager to take the social media, e-news, direct mail campaigns to the next level to raise visibility and engagement
- Ensure the website and public education and marketing materials are timely
- Manage the Development Manager with the identification of new foundation opportunities and framing the content of foundation proposals and reports
- Cultivate relationships with program officers and corporate executive to leverage fundraising
- Conceptualize and implement a corporate giving program that offers volunteer opportunities, in-kind support, corporate foundation grants, and sponsorship
- Work collaboratively with COO, providing complete and accurate activity reports and revenue
- Oversee donor data management and ensure that Salesforce is being used effectively
- Oversee donation processing, acknowledgement, tracking, reporting, and reconciliation with Finance
- Manage and motivate a high-performing team to exceed goals
- Serve as an ambassador for GOSO at external events, including presenting on the organization and making direct asks
- All other responsibilities as assigned.
- Bachelor’s degree in development, business administration, marketing, or related field preferred
- 7+ years of development, fundraising, communications, and management experience in a non-profit setting
- Proven track record of securing gifts that have increased in size over time
- Comfort making direct asks of individuals and corporate representatives
- A deep appreciation for GOSO’s work, mission, and the population it serves
- Experience in Board, committee, and volunteer management
- Excellent project management skills and facility for motivating and helping to guide cross-departmental teams
- Willingness and ability to manage tasks independently, supported by weekly meetings with Chief Operating Officer
- Excellent team player open to working in a fluid, fast-paced environment with the ability to be flexible and adjust to claiming demands
- Proven participation and ability to work collaboratively with internal team members and management staff for the purposes of achieving goals/objectives
- Solid writing and researching skills; and great attention to detail
- Ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Critical thinker, analytical, and detail-oriented
- Creative, bold, and ambitious
- Great public speaker and strategic thinker
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience.
Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 401(k) after 90 days.
Some evening and weekend hours are required.
Please send a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.