Job Title: Communications Associate
Reports To: Manager of Communications and Events
Department: Development and Communications
Job Type: Full-time
About GOSO: Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers youths to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal- oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
Objective of Role: The Communications Associate will work within the GOSO Development and Communications Department and will be supervised by the Manager of Communications and Events. The Communications Associate will support efforts to elevate the visibility and engagement of GOSO and the SAVE program. The candidate will coordinate and execute all aspects of the public education, communications and social media initiatives. The candidate will be a solid writer with experience in coordinating multiple projects under deadlines. We seek a creative, highly organized person with the ability to work effectively with the GOSO Development and Communications team and with consultants.
- Participate in strategy meetings with GOSO’s PR firm, Geto & de Milly, and with key GOSO staff on all communication initiatives, including social media, e-news, direct mail campaigns, fundraising and public education/marketing campaigns
- Send out e-news, post on social media, and track open rates, click rates and engagement
- Write draft copy as appropriate for e-news, social media, and marketing and public education materials
- Participate in GOSO and SAVE’s community activities, special events, and projects with participants to capture photos and videos for communication, marketing, and fundraising purposes
- Along with other team members, responsible for posting and tweeting during key events and activities on social media platforms
- Ensure consistent responses to engagement on social platforms – re-share, retweet, like and comment as appropriate
- Actively follow and engage activists, academics, influencers, civic leaders, entrepreneurs, elected officials, etc. around the work of GOSO and SAVE
- Engage the staff, Action Board, Board of Directors, and volunteers in following and participating in the growth of GOSO and SAVE’s social media platforms
- Coordinate bids with designers and printers
- Maintain the organization’s photos and videos and post videos on GOSO’s YouTube Channel
- All other duties as assigned
Qualifications and Skills
- HS Diploma or Equivalent required; Bachelor’s Degree in related field preferred
- Experience with multiple social media platforms
- Excellent oral and written skills
- Highly organized
Compensation & Benefits
Salary commensurate with experience. Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 401(k) after 90 days.
Some evening and weekend hours required.
Please send a resume with a cover letter to: email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.