Job Title: Development Manager, Individual Giving
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Job Type: Full-time
About GOSO: Located in East Harlem, Getting Out Getting Out and Staying Out (GOSO) empowers 16- to 24-year-olds to avoid involvement in the criminal justice system by reshaping their futures through educational achievement, meaningful employment, and financial independence. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. We believe that our focus on career and education is the key to maintaining a recidivism rate under 15% versus a national average of over 60% by helping participants overcome obstacles in reentry and become productive members of society. GOSO also oversees the Stand Against Violence (SAVE) program with a mission to reduce gun violence in East Harlem and beyond.
GOSO focuses on the individuals’ capacities and strengths, as well as developmental needs and emotional well-being. Our aim is to promote personal, professional, and intellectual growth through goal-oriented programming and comprehensive social support services. GOSOWorks is a workforce development and wage-subsidy program that connects GOSO participants to employment opportunities with local businesses. Utilizing funding from the City of New York, we screen, interview, and place participants who have completed our job readiness curriculum in internship-to-employment (I2E) opportunities. A GOSOWorks internship is often the first employment experience for many participants, and it helps them use and develop the personal and professional skills needed to succeed in life.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities: The Development Manager, Individual Giving, is a member of the DevoComms team, which supports GOSO’s coordinated efforts to garner support (both financial and otherwise) to enable GOSO to work toward fulfilling its mission. The main focus of this position is the fundraising, cultivation, stewardship of individual donors (with a specific focus of donors who give less than $1,000 annually) and the upkeep of data and communications related to all donors, including individuals, corporations, foundations, and other funders. The Development Manager, Individual Giving, is responsible for the maintenance of the Salesforce database and will work collaboratively with leadership to help the organization reach fundraising goals, which includes written appeals, special events, corporate partnerships, foundation giving and the Dignity Blueprint campaign. The Development Manager will also play a key role in supporting special events and community activities.
The DevoComms team is a creative team within a fast-paced environment. We seek someone who is organized, detail-oriented, works collaboratively with people and has strong project management skills. This is an exciting opportunity for someone with the skills needed to oversee the department’s database management, as well as the interest and experience needed to expand its individual giving efforts. This position comes with the opportunity for growth in an organization that is in the process of building on a successful fundraising history.
Objective of Role: GOSO is working to expand the workforce development programming to include more robust job readiness training and increased permanent job opportunities. We are seeking a candidate that has successfully led workforce development initiatives and can scale the already successful GOSOWorks program.
The functions of the Development Manager, Individual Giving, includes, but may not be limited to, duties such as the following:
- Data Management and Development Administration
- Import and maintain historical, current, and prospective donor information in donor database with an eye toward optimal data integrity
- Process and track all donations and grants in Salesforce donor database
- Analyze donation data and prepare regular reports for Director of Development
- Work with Finance Department to reconcile donations between donor database and accounting database
- Contribute to the development of data entry and reporting procedures based on established best practices
- Oversee donor acknowledgment procedures for all donors and funders
- Prepare acknowledgement letters and other related correspondence
- Coordinate production of donor mailings
- Assist with the tracking of donor cultivation conducted by CEO, board members, and others
- Prepare regular fundraising reports and dashboards
2. Individual Giving
- Contribute to the identification, cultivation, solicitation, and stewardship of donors and prospects (less than $1,000) through collaborative strategy and plan development
- Respond directly to donor inquiries via email, letter, telephone, etc.
- Organize data on individual donors in database through regular updating, reporting, and portfolio management
- Identify donor prospects through research and regular evaluation of GOSO constituent groups, including Action Board, current volunteers, Board networks, lapsed donors, etc.
- Prepare donor communications, including acknowledgement letters, donor surveys, appeal letters, emails, programmatic descriptions, presentation decks, and more as needed
- Handle administrative details associated with key donor meetings including i.e. prepare and distribute call briefs, agendas, schedule meetings, take minutes
3. Other Department Assistance
- Use iWave and Foundation Directory to identify and qualify prospects including individual, corporate and foundation donors
- Contribute to the preparation of materials for Board meetings and other events and meetings
- As needed, contribute to all stages of event planning and execution for fundraising, cultivation, community, and onsite events
Qualifications and Skills:
- Experience in a development/fundraising department in a nonprofit organization
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Advanced level knowledge of Microsoft Office suite and Salesforce for Development or other development databases
- Strong organizational skills with ability to multitask
- Strong project management skills
- Willingness to build skills and grow professionally
- Capable of working independently, as well as part of a team
- Ability to exercise initiative, discretion, and good judgment
- Demonstrated willingness to perform reasonable duties outside of those outlined here
Compensation & Benefits:
Salary commensurate with experience.
Eligible for group health insurance, term-life insurance, and 401(k) after 90 days.
Please send a resume with cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.