Job Title: Director of Development
Reports To: Chief Development Officer
Department: Development and Communications
Job Type: Full-time
Salary Range: 90k-100k
Objective of Role: The Director of Development will work within the GOSO Development and Communications Department and will report to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO). The Director of Development is a senior leader whose primary focus is raising funds to support the organization’s $5.6 million budget and increase unrestricted revenue for GOSO to advance the strategic priorities of the organization and ensure long-term growth and sustainability. The Director of Development will play a key role in working with the GOSO team and stakeholders to manage the GOSO growth campaign to raise $2.5 million over the next three years. GOSO seeks an entrepreneurial fundraiser and project manager to help lead this effort. The Director will carry out a robust development plan that includes raising revenue from a diverse mix of individual, corporate, institutional foundations and the organization’s annual event. The Director of Development will assist with the production, event marketing, and fundraising for the annual gala and will conceptualize and help implement donor cultivation events.
The Director of Development will supervise four people in the Development and Communications department: the Communications and Events Manager, Development Manager, and the Communications Associate, and the Development Associate.
- Steward existing relationships to ensure that donors, partners, and funders are giving increased amounts, year after year.
- Conduct research to identify high-net worth individuals and corporations to support the growth campaign and the organization’s fundraising appeals and special events
- Forge new relationships to build GOSO’s visibility and secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations
- Partner with the COO to provide strategy and direction to GOSO’s PR Firm, Geto & de Milly and other consultants● Partner with the COO to provide strategy and direction to GOSO’s PR Firm, Geto & de Milly and other consultants
- Work with the team to conceptualize and implement fundraising campaigns
- Work with the Communications and Events Manager to take the social media, e-news, direct mail campaigns to the next level to raise visibility and engagement
- Ensure the website and public education and marketing materials are timely
- Manage the Development Manager with the identification of new foundation opportunities and framing the content of foundation proposals and reports
- Cultivate relationships with program officers and corporate executive to leverage fundraising
- Conceptualize and implement a corporate giving program that offers volunteer opportunities, in-kind support, corporate foundation grants, and sponsorship
- Work collaboratively with COO, providing complete and accurate activity reports and revenue
- Oversee donor data management and ensure that Salesforce is being used effectively
- Oversee donation processing, acknowledgement, tracking, reporting, and reconciliation with Finance
- Manage and motivate a high-performing team to exceed goals
- Serve as an ambassador for GOSO at external events, including presenting on the organization and making direct asks
- Other duties as required
- Strong interpersonal and presentation skills
- Critical thinker, analytical, and detail-oriented
- Creative, bold, and ambitious
- Great public speaker and strategic thinker
- Solid writing and researching skills; and great attention to detail
- Excellent team player open to working in a fluid, fast-paced environment with the ability to be flexible and adjust to claiming demands
- Proven participation and ability to work collaboratively with internal team members and management staff for the purposes of achieving goals/objectives
- Ability to manage multiple projects under deadlines
- Excellent work ethic
- Commitment to working in a mission driven organization
- Demonstrated personal ethics and values
- Cross-team collaboration and cooperation
- Team-player who works well with a diverse group of people
- Bachelor’s degree in development, business administration, marketing, or related field preferred
- 7+ years of development, fundraising, communications, and management experience in a non-profit setting
- Proven track record of securing gifts that have increased in size over time
- Comfort making direct asks of individuals and corporate representatives
- A deep appreciation for GOSO’s work, mission, and the population it serves
- Experience in Board, committee, and volunteer management
- Excellent project management skills and facility for motivating and helping to guide cross-departmental teams
- Willingness and ability to manage tasks independently, supported by weekly meetings with Chief Operating Officer
Compensation & Benefits:
- Salary commensurate with experience. GOSO offers a competitive salary and benefits package
Please send a resume with cover letter to: email@example.com. Resumes without a cover letter will not be considered.
GOSO is an equal opportunity employer and all qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, disability status, protected veteran status, or any other characteristic protected by law.
About GOSO: Getting Out and Staying Out has a vision of a world where neither a person’s race nor their prior contact with the legal system determines their future. To work toward that vision, we partner with young people impacted by arrest or incarceration on a journey of education, employment, and emotional well-being. For many of our participants, that journey begins while they are detained or incarcerated, on Rikers Island or in youth detention centers. We work with all interested individuals, regardless of the charges that they face, engaging them in future planning through programing focused on education, employment, and emotional well-being while helping to meet their immediate needs, whether physical (warm clothing, commissary supplies), psychological (correspondence and communication to help maintain links to the outside world), or legal (coordinating with public defense attorneys on courtroom advocacy). Among the major programs that are under the GOSO umbrella are Stand Against Violence East Harlem (SAVE), GOSOWorks, and multiple education programs (including Pathways-to-Graduation, a high school equivalency program). GOSO served its participants and the Harlem community throughout the Pandemic and, in fact, expanded its budget in the past few years. We are currently building our external relations functions, including development, in order to position GOSO for continued growth and expanded impact on those at the heart of our mission.